Expressing Graditude....A Month of Thanksgiving

The best and most beautiful things in the world
Cannot be seen or even heard,
But must be felt by the heart.
~Helen Keller

It’s November. Time is flying by or maybe I’m just too busy. I need to slow down. It’s important to stop and appreciate everything you have. I’m so thankful. I’m so grateful for my life and the opportunity I have to do what I love.
A few years ago, I would never have had the opportunity to be the writer I am today. Opportunities for writers were limited. I worked hard on my writing for my chance…that one opportunity to become an author. Back then it meant sending query letters and waiting...and waiting... Today, because of the explosion of Indie world, I am an author. For that, I am grateful.
Twenty-eight years ago, I moved up North. I married a Bostonian and now Boston is my home. It took awhile to call Boston home, but it feels that way now. For my husband and home, I am grateful.
I was blessed to have had three beautiful children, numerous nieces and nephews. For the fulfilling feeling encompassing being a mother, I am grateful.

1379329_598851563505602_550871764_n
My first grand-nephew! He was going to enjoy the World Series no matter who won!
                            

 Not only do I write, but I work at a job I enjoy and allows me the freedom to do the things I enjoy. I live in a country that gives me the freedom to live my life. I am grateful.
This is the month for thanksgiving. Sometimes in this crazy life, I forget everything I have to be thankful for and why. I do need to slow down and enjoy the simple moments. It was great this year to enjoy the Red Sox again, climaxing with a World Series win. It was awesome. More so, I think, because they worked together as a team. We love our sports in Boston. The Red Sox exemplified the meaning of coming together as a community.  After that dreadful day back in April, the day of the Marathon Bombing, Boston was no more a city, but a community.
It was the first time I realized that Boston was my home. I was so proud of the way the Boston reacted to the horrible, horrible bombing. Everyone...everyone came together for the better of the community. I work at one of the major hospitals in Boston. To get into work, I had to pass through a whole squad of law enforcement officers fully armed. I can honestly say I was happy they were there. It was an uncertain time. You just don't think it will happen to you...but it can. My heart went out to the victims...it still does.
Growing up in the South, I was taught you help those in need. I felt the same way about the bombing. When a disaster happens, the spotlight is on that area and people. Help is needed and most of the time, people respond. It is only afterwards that the spotlight fades. Unfortunately, the needs of the victims don't disappear. The injuries of some of these victims of the bombing won't ever vanish. I believe that Boston set up a great fund so the victims won't be forgotten. The people of Boston responded. That's what makes me proud to be a part of this city.
I gave a week's of royalties to a couple of different charities at the time, but I pledged to do more. In December, I'm planning on releasing Fragmented.  I wrote Fragmented with one purpose in mind—giving back. It's something I want to do. I am going to be giving half my royalties to a Boston charity. I have discovered I can't name which charity until I get a co-venture agreement. I will apply for the co-venture after I start donating what I pledge. I just wanted everyone to know I'm keeping my word.

fragmentedstandard
Coming December, 2013
Fragmented is set in Boston and wrote for Boston, but I believe everyone can enjoy the story. It's my first contemporary murder mystery. Who doesn't love a good mystery?
Giving makes me feel better...gives me a sense that what I do can make a difference, no matter how small. It makes me feel I'm part of this community. For that, I am grateful.
Give this month. Doesn't have to be much. It can even be a smile. What's the saying...pay it forward... 

What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity,
These are but trifles, to be sure;
But scattered along life’s pathway,
The good they do is inconceivable.
~Joseph Addison

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FOR THOSE LONG WINTER NIGHTS- #READAMYSTERY

Ssh! It's time for a deal. Secret Lives Series, Book 1, Seductive Secrets is Free...

Seductive Secrets Book Giveaway!