#Blindsidedbyhomosexuality A problem with a #GayCharacter...Really? Review of Past of Shadows

I woke up this morning to a lovely review. A one-star review. Now, I'm not a stranger to one star reviews. When I first came out as an Indie Author, I got slammed by a group of trolls that eventually became known as the GoodRead Trolls. They went after my book, Seductive Secrets.

I mention this because there is a similiarity. Seductive Secrets is a historical romance, romantic suspense book, but the main secondary character is gay. I don't write gay romances. I write romances with vivid characters, which includes having a gay character if the storyline takes me there. Charles is one of my favorite character I've written. I wrote Charles because my daughter, who is gay, told me that growing up, she never read a book with a positive gay role model.


The original title was Daughter of Deceit. I changed it to Seductive Secrets and my penname to Colleen Connally. I had to...I was running from the trolls. To this day, I swear I was attacked because of my character Charles.

Now, I just got a nasty review on my series, The Three Realms, Past of Shadows. Reviews are hard to come by now adays for me. My writing has slowed down due to an injury three years ago that has left me in constant pain. I took to revising an old fantasy series I had written. My next release is in just over a week. So, the timing of this review, in of itself, is questionable.

So, this morning, I was excited to see that I got another review on the first book, Past of Shadows, until I looked at it.


July 1, 2019
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I read 3/4 of an otherwise interesting book when the author decided to interject homosexuality. If I wanted to read about homosexuals, I’d look for a book in that genre. So disgusted by authors who trick people into reading this trash and I won’t read this author again. Just be honest and people will trust you, I certainly don’t now. Bye.

Yes, some of my books have gay characters. This character, Johannes, is one of a dozen side characters in the book...but I'm not going to apologize for writing about a gay character. You would think by the review that the character went on an orgy. (He didn't even have sex. It was just acknowledge that he was gay.) I'm not going to apologize for writing likable, smart, intelligent gay characters. I'm not.

Saying that, the sad fact is that it does hurt sales because I don't write to the gay community. My historical romances are traditional romances where boy meets girl. Not all my books have gay charcaters, but when I feel the need, I include them. What author gets slammed for writing a gay character in her book?

I feel for the reviewer. I do...and I will pray for her. Yes, I consider myself a Christian and go to church on Sundays. But I understand the struggle of being gay. My daughter didn't get up one morning and decide to be gay. This is who she is and always has been. She is the sweetest, most caring person I know. I'm so proud of her.

So weighing my options as an Indie writer, would it be best not to include gay characters? Honestly, the answer is yes. I have been told the smart thing to do is to write to the wants of your readers if you want to succeed. But I have never written for the money. I write the story inside of me.

I'm not going to lie. It hurts to read a nasty review. I'm only human. But this review just makes me sad that someone has so much anger in her. There is too much anger in the world, way too much.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FOR THOSE LONG WINTER NIGHTS- #READAMYSTERY

Ssh! It's time for a deal. Secret Lives Series, Book 1, Seductive Secrets is Free...

December's Flash Sales