Happy 4th of July! God Bless America!

This morning I read a headline that said that Patriotism plummets ahead of Independence Day. Over the last few years, it has fallen below 60% of Americans that feel proud to be an American. That fact is a shame, but I'm one American who is still proud to live here in this great country.

I love history. It is the reason I have written two series about the American Revolution and one about the Civil War. The American Revolution totally fascinates me. The brillance of how our forefathers set up the United States of America is truly astounding.

As I write this, I am totally aware that some of these great men owned slaves. Yes, it would have been far better if slavery never happened. Slavery was a terrible instituion...horrible. At the time, the sad fact was that it was an accepted practice. I certainly don't give our forefathers a pass because of its acceptance. The writer of the Declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson was publically against slavery, yet owned over 600 slaves. He called it "moral depravity." So, slavery is certainly a black mark on our country and one that we will never live down. That is not in question.



Back in 1776, the United States became the land of the free! I know...I know that was for white men. But this is the difference than any other country at the time, the United States government gave the power to the people. We still have that today. Our forefathers set up a series of checks and balances that has allowed for change—and we have evolved.

When the South seceeded from the Union, the Union fought under our red, white and blue to not only free the slaves, but maintain the United States. 

So, this is my status on the flag. Fly it high and proud!

 This is a great country. We just need to let our voices be heard! (We need to vote in the next election that's for sure.)

I believe that all Americans have a right to protest, no matter if its kneeling for the flag...if its done for the right reason. If someone is calling attention to a issue that needs to be addressed, that is the right they have. A peaceful protest is one our rights as an American. I'm from Mississippi and would love if they took the Confederate flag off our state flag. (I have wrote on that before) I understand completely with the people that have issue with the Confederate flag...but not the American flag.

Men and women have fought under Old Glory to give us the freedoms we have today. As I respect the right to protest, we ALL should respect the symbol of America that gives us this right.

I do worry. I feel that there is a movement to take us backwards. 

It is our responsibily to not let that happen. The power is in the people. Let our voices be heard! We can make a difference! (No, I'm not running for political office.)

Let's respect those that have differing opinions and listen. The key, I believe, is listening. America is made up of all sorts of different people with different skin colors and different religions. Let's us find common ground for the betterment of all that live in this great country.

Okay, said my little piece. Have a great 4th!!! Enjoy the day...and be safe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FOR THOSE LONG WINTER NIGHTS- #READAMYSTERY

Ssh! It's time for a deal. Secret Lives Series, Book 1, Seductive Secrets is Free...

December's Flash Sales